16 September 2010

The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things.

     I met a very nice woman today. Apparently she's the grandmother/chauffeur of a student taking post-secondary courses (college courses taken while in high school in order to get a head start) at my university. What possessed a grandmother to sit at a table with a girl wearing a black T-shirt that depicts Shakespeare as a zombie and says "Alas poor Yorick, I ate his brains" I'll never know.      Another thing I'll never know is why men think that extremely skinny women are attractive. I can understand the allure of a fit, toned body and a flat stomach, sure, but I mean women who look like Betty Spaghetti, with arms and legs so long and thin they look awkward. We watched a video of Kristin Chenoweth's performance in the operetta Candide in my humanities class today. She's just unusually lanky and thin. Not that she's not pretty, but she just has such an unusual shape.
     I'm debating whether or not I want to give blood today. The Red Cross is having a blood drive over at the rec center, and you get free Chipotle for it, and besides, I'm able to donate again. The only problem is, is a free burrito really worth the nausea and near-fainting I always get when I donate blood? The only time that hasn't happened is when I donated blood at the actual Red Cross center in Akron, because they have the appropriate training and resources to take care of you properly there, more so than at the various other locations at which I've donated (the Chapel, the rec center, even at the Stonehedge bowling lanes once.) Besides, I didn't have a nice big breakfast this morning the way I usually like to when I give blood. I just had a Jimmy Dean sausage, egg and cheese bagel (they're smallish), some mandarin oranges and some Crystal Light. I did have two cheeseburgers last night, but I think I'd rather make an appointment to go with my grandfather when he donates next. It's cool hanging out with my grandpa like I used to when I was a kid.
     I've been thinking about freedom and liberation a lot lately. It's amazing how much more freedom women have in countries like the US or the UK than they do in many others. I was thinking yesterday about how I always feel ugly because my hair is frizzy and I still struggle with breakouts on my face. But then I realized that in many Islamic nations, women have to cover their hair and face with a burqa, so I have no room to complain. Sometimes I feel that women are still controlled by men in some ways, or at least not respected as much as they should be. That feeling might have to do with the fact that so much of the music I listen to is written and performed by feminists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be honest. Brutal, even. I don't give a shit.