27 September 2010

Come on come on, and tell me why you're starin'. Come on come on, it must be what I'm wearin'.

Fashion. Not only is it a great David Bowie track, it's also something very important to women, even those of us who claim not to be materialistic. For example, I'm not materialistic: I just like cool-looking stuff. I don't care about the price, brand name or (within reason) quality of the item, I just like to have unique possessions and unique apparel. One of the best places to get unique apparel is a thrift store. I've never understood why people are so grossed out by the idea of wearing someone else's clothing. It's easy to avoid getting nasty clothing from a thrift store: just don't buy something nasty-looking. And you really can't beat the price, especially with what my local thrift store chain, Village Discount Outlet, does on Mondays. Every item or piece of clothing has a tag of a certain color with the price written on it. Every day, two of those colors are half off, but on Monday, clothing with one specific color tag (for instance, today's color was orange) is 50 cents a piece. That's a GREAT deal. If you can get over the idea that another human being's body was once inside your clothing (which doesn't bother me, I wash clothes before I wear them anyway,) you can get some pretty awesome stuff for dirt cheap. Here's what I got today:
  • A black and grey turtleneck sweater
  • A Halloween-themed turtleneck
  • A punk-rock British flag t-shirt
  • A cute brown t-shirt with embroidery on it
  • Two very nice pairs of jeans
  • A black button-down shirt
If I had gotten all those at, say, JC Penney, it would have been quite expensive. Heck, even at Wal-Mart it would have been a lot. But my total from the thrift store was just over five dollars. Five dollars wouldn't have bought me the punk T-shirt if I'd bought it brand new.

In other fashion news, I've started selling Avon and mark. makeup, apparel, jewelry, etc. I'm not looking to be a millionaire here, but it'll hold me over until I get a "real job". It's not a cop-out, though, thank you very much. (Sorry, I'm still a little mad at my boyfriend for some things he said.) Anyway, I haven't got my website set up yet, but once I do, I'll put a permanent link on my blog homepage in case all you millions of readers out there want some glittery eyeshadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be honest. Brutal, even. I don't give a shit.